March 17, 2020
The Province of British Columbia and Vancouver Island Health affirm that the risk for the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak on Vancouver Island remains low, but it is increasing. The Town of Qualicum Beach and City of Parksville have been monitoring information provided by Federal and Provincial agencies regarding COVID-19 and have remained in constant communication through our Emergency Management Oceanside program (EMO). In order to formally broaden the coordination of our activities and respond effectively, we are activating an Emergency Operation Centre (EOC) at a Level 1.
In line with this activation the Town will continue to take the following actions:
- Monitor the direction provided by lead agencies which include federal, provincial and regional health authorities, in order to take action if and when required.
- Emergency staff from the Town of Qualicum Beach and City of Parksville will work together in support of this fast changing event.
- Keep the public informed of changing local circumstances and directing people to information from lead sources(appropriate federal, provincial and regional health authorities)
- Implementation of additional steps to support Town of Qualicum Beach staff and assure their safety during this event.
- Internal communication for staff, with a focus on increased hygiene, sanitization, deep cleaning of offices as well as vehicles and equipment.
- Activation of pandemic procedures and pandemic communications strategies. This includes identification of essential functions and implementation of operational changes to sustain business/service continuity.
- Coordination of local stakeholders with timely and accurate information on the quickly changing environment.
Updated Facility Closures
In discussion with Mayor Brian Wiese and in consideration of the recently announced public health emergency, the decision has been made to close the Town Hall until further notice.
The current list of Town facility closures includes the following:
- Town Hall
- Civic Centre
- Community Hall
- Veterans Way washrooms
- Digital Media Studio
- Public Library
- Oceanside Community Safety
- Oceanside Hospice Society (Valhalla)
- Qualicum Beach Seniors Activity Centre
- The Old School House
All critical services including fire, bylaw enforcement and Town operations will continue to operate to support the community.
The public may contact the Town as follows:
Parks and Building
For more information visit:
Rob Daman, Emergency Coordinator
Town of Qualicum Beach, 250.927.5108