June 8, 2020
Both the City of Parksville and Town of Qualicum Beach have resumed limited front counter services at municipal halls in line with Phase 2 of the BC Restart Plan. While these functions have been in place virtually, in-person services are now being offered within limited hours of operation for those who cannot use virtual options. Physical distancing and enhanced sanitization protocols are now in place and the number of residents allowed in the building at one time is extremely limited. It may be necessary to form a line outside while waiting for service and lengthy delays may occur. During this transition period, we ask for your patience as we navigate this phase of reopening. Should you have questions, please contact City of Parksville at 250 248-6144 or the Town of Qualicum Beach at 250 752-6921.
We are very encouraged by the recent information and statistics on COVID 19 rates from the province that show the community’s efforts have dramatically reduced the spread of this virus in Oceanside and on Vancouver Island. We are cautiously re-opening outdoor amenities and allowing recreational activities to resume in accordance with the provincial requirements. Following the advice of health officials has served us well and we will continue mitigating the risks associated with COVID 19 as we see a return to some normal activities.
This summer will look very different in Oceanside; there are many fun and engaging things we can do in our beautiful hometowns. Vacationing at home and supporting local businesses is a great way to stay safe, enjoy the beauty of our community and put us on the road to recovery.
GENERAL UPDATES AND INFORMATION
- Vancouver Island Coastal Tourism Resiliency Program provides Vancouver Island, Gulf Islands and Sunshine Coast tourism businesses with meaningful, hands-on guidance and support to navigate the immediate impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, adapt and work towards long-term resiliency.
- Supporting Oceanside Businesses - tool for all local businesses to detail services being offered.
- Open During COVID-19 - directory of businesses open during COVID-19.
- Supporting Local Restaurants - directory list of restaurants open for business.
- Rebound Oceanside is a recovery plan created for businesses and not-for-profit organizations in the Parksville-Qualicum Beach/School District 69 region to provide assistance through the pandemic and minimize the negative impacts of an economic shutdown. Supported by Province of BC, WorkSafe BC and Parksville & Qualicum Chambers of Commerce.
UPDATES FROM TOWN OF QUALICUM BEACH
Town Hall is partially reopening today with limited services:
- Hours of operation - Monday to Friday, 9 am to 1 pm.
- The main floor foyer will be open to the public for tax and utility payments and to process homeowner grants ONLY. Residents are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the other payment options available. Please refer to the "Noteworthy" included with both your tax notice and utility notice. Payments can also be dropped off in the mail slot located at the entrance nearest the fountain (660 Primrose Street) at any time.
- Business relating to administration, bylaw, building, planning and engineering is by appointment only. Please refer to the Town's website for staff contact information or call 250 752-6921 to book an appointment. Walk-in services will NOT be available at this time.
- Please be patient and respectful as there will be delays during this transitional period.
The Town asks residents to meet these guidelines:
- Do not enter Town Hall if experiencing any signs of illness, have travelled outside Canada within the last 14 days, or have been in close contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
- Residents are encouraged to wear a non-surgical facemask.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance.
- Only one customer will be permitted to enter the building at a time and overflow will be outside in an uncovered area which is open to the weather.
- Foot traffic will be one-way only, with designated entrance, exit and directional lines. Please maintain a physical distance of 2 metres while queueing.
- Recommended payment options include cheque and Interac. If necessary, cash will be accepted; however no change can be provided. Any overpayment will remain on your account as a credit.
- Washrooms at Town Hall are closed and available public washrooms are located on Veteran’s Way and at the rear of the Leigh House.
- The underground parking garage is open, but access to the elevator and stairwell is closed. Access to the street/building will be from the front parking garage doors ONLY. It will be necessary to walk from the parking garage to the front of the building.
UPDATES FROM CITY OF PARKSVILLE
The City of Parksville recently announced a gradual, multi-step approach to reopening services in a manner that will maintain and protect public safety. A number of services such as in-person payments of utilities and taxes, the ability to process homeowner grant applications, reopening of neighbourhood playgrounds and sports courts were resorted. Next steps are outlined here:
June 12 - Reopening Lions Ventureland Playground and outdoor gym in the Parksville Community Park
June 26 - Reopening splash park in Parksville Community Park
June 26 - Special event permits: hosts must provide COVID Response and Mitigation plans
June 26 - Return to play will include bookings of special events and recreational sports.
- Full service offered by finance - e.g. bus passes, garbage tags and dog licences will be available and tickets and licence fees may be paid.
- Finance hours will remain 9 am to noon and 1 pm to 3 pm
- All other City business by appointment only.
July 2 - City will resume such activities as in-person public hearings, community engagement and Coffee with the Mayor.
Residents and visitors using City facilities are expected to follow public health requirements at all times. In accordance with provincial guidelines, signage will be posted at City Hall and in our parks and open spaces to remind the public of what rules are in place. Information on the timing of steps to reopen various services and amenities, as well as updates on further access, will be posted on the City's website and social media channels.
As outlined last week, residents should continue to access services electronically. All other City business is by appointment only and walk-in services are not available at this time. Call 250 248-6144 to book an appointment or refer to contact info on our website. Please contact VIU, School District #69 and the library by phone at this time.
We will keep you informed of any changes to how the Town of Qualicum Beach
and the City of Parksville
operate as this pandemic evolves. City staff and elected officials are practicing physical distance and sanitizing protocols and many services continue to be available by phone, email and online, please refer to your municipality for contact information. Health-related information is available from:
For information, contact: